Terraces On Memorial
Frequently Asked Questions


Q:  Do I need to get approval for landscaping or home exterior improvements?

A:  Yes, all exterior modifications to homes and gardens require approval before commencing your project.

ARC (Architectural Review Committee) applications can be found on the website in the Document Library or from Crest Management. Approval is needed before commencing your project. When planning landscaping changes both big and small -- including plans for patios/patio extensions, pergolas, gazebos, pools, outdoor kitchens, garage doors, paint colors, putting in new walkways, planting trees, (just to name a few examples)  – approval is required from the ARC per neighborhood deed restrictions PRIOR to starting work. Please note that permanent garden structures may require a City of Houston building permit.  Approval from ARC does not automatically confer City approval and vice versa.

Q:  Does Terraces on Memorial offer recycling?

A:  Yes, recycling is collected every Thursday (unless that day is a holiday, in which case recycling will be collected the following Thursday).

Trash is collected on both Mondays and Thursdays.

Q:  How do I establish water and sewer service when I lease or purchase a home in Terraces on Memorial?

A:  The City of Houston provides water and sewer services. Call the City of Houston Customer Account Services department at 713-371-1400 to establish service or report water leaks.

Q:  How do I get my personal gate access code or get my EZ tag reader access?

A:  Send a completed Gates Access form to Crest Management. See the Document Library page or the Gates - Information/News pages of this website for the Gate Access form.

Q:  How do I open the front entry gate for guests and other visitors?

A:  Crest Management needs to program your contact info into the entry gate directory.
Residents should email a completed Gates Access form with your telephone number(s) etc. The form is available on the Documents page of this website. 
If you change your telephone number, please contact Crest to have the new phone number programmed into the directory.  It is to your benefit to keep the directory updated.

Visitors (guests, repairmen, delivery services, etc.) should be asked to use the entry directory keypad  where they can locate a resident’s name and enter the number associated with the resident’s name, at which point whatever phone number has been programmed (home or cell phone) will ring, you answer, speak to your visitor, and press 9 on your phone and the gate opens.
Q:  How do I get remotes to open the front entry gate?
A:  New homeowners who are not furnished entry gate openers as part of their home purchase may purchase replacement gate openers for $40 each. Contact Crest Management to make arrangements to purchase and collect new or additional remotes. Homeowners should bring their HUD closing statement. Tenants should ask their landlord about gate remotes.


Please note that Crest accepts money orders, cashier’s check, personal & business checks only. No cash - no credit cards.


Q:  How do I get keys to my mailbox?

A:  Mail box keys were furnished to original homebuyers by the Post Office on Whittington Drive. Extra keys are not maintained by Post Office. If original keys are lost, Post Office will charge to replace the compartment locks. If you are selling or renting your home, be sure to pass along the mailbox keys to buyers or renters.

Q:  How do I report a street light outage?

A:  The most efficient way to contact CenterPoint Energy directly, either by phone or on their website 713-207-2222 or visit http://cnp.centerpointenergy.com/outage. Give them the 6-digit number located on the light pole.

Q: The cover for my water meter box is missing. How do I report this problem?

A: Call 311 to report a missing water meter box cover, and provide your property address. The City of Houston Public Services should then replace the cover.

Q: I’ve seen a storm drain cover missing from a nearby street. How do I report this problem?

A: Call 311 to report a missing storm drain cover. Please provide details such as a nearby street address  in order for City of Houston to locate and replace the missing cover.

Q:  Can I park my car on the street?

A:  NO. The neighborhood deed restrictions state that all residents must park their cars either in their garage or in their driveway. Parking in the street can partially block the opposite neighbor’s driveway making it difficult for them to back out of their garage and cars parked on the street next to a corner can create a safety hazard for both pedestrians and drivers because it creates a visibility problem. Additionally, cars parked on the street have the potential of restricting access to emergency vehicles. Short term visitors, however, may park in streets. Please see Article VIII, Section 23 of the CCR’s for further detail. 



Q:  I am a homeowner leasing my property to tenants. Should my tenants register with the HOA and/or Crest Management?

A:  Yes, definitely! Regulations require homeowners to advise Crest and the HOA of new tenants and provide contact information. Landlords should advise their tenants to register on the website so they can be informed of news that affects them, and they can be contacted in the event of an emergency.

Homeowner and Tenants – please provide your email address and contact information.

This information is not shared with anyone other than the Board of Directors and Crest.


Q:  How often are the common areas mowed?

A:  Once a week, usually on Wednesdays (weekly for the Summer Schedule; less often during Winter Schedule).

Q:  Can you adjust the sprinklers around the lake so I do not get drenched when I am on my early morning run?

A:  For optimum efficacy, our landscape company suggests we water in the wee hours so that the water may be absorbed properly as the sun rises.  The sprinklers are cycled, as we have a lot of square footage to cover.

Q:  Can I fish or swim in the lake?
A:  No.  Fishing and swimming in the lake are strictly prohibited.  Please help us keep our lake beautiful, clean, and safe for the birds, turtles, and fish that make it their home.

Q:  Can I swim or use a boat or a canoe in the neighborhood lake?

A:  No, the lake is a flood control feature that is for runoff retention and viewing enjoyment only.  Boating, swimming, and fishing are prohibited by the neighborhood deed restrictions. See Article VIII, Section 10 of the CCR’s for further clarification.


Q:  Can my landscaper or other contractor place a sign in my yard?

A:  No, Deed restrictions for the neighborhood prohibit placement of commercial signs by contractors working on your property (Article VIII, Use Restrictions, Section 30, page 21 of the Terraces on Memorial CCR‟s). If you have a company you recommend, we encourage you to put the contractor’s name, contact details, and services offered (appliance repair, landscaping, yard service, pool installation, etc.), on the ToM WhatsApp group chat.



Q:  Why do I need to comply with the deed restrictions (CCR's)?

A:  Enforcing deed restrictions is essential to maintaining property values and preserving the residential character of the neighborhood. This includes requiring homeowners to maintain in good order those portions of their gardens visible from the street, refrain from constructing unsightly structures on their property, and paying HOA dues that are used to maintain common area landscaping, pay for street lights, lake maintenance, etc.

Q:  Why do I pay Association fees?

A:  Association fees (also called Annual Maintenance Fees) are collected to maintain the common areas of the community and provided necessary day to day services. In the case of Terraces on Memorial, this includes maintenance of the entrance gates, the front pond and the lake (including fountain heads), the sprinkler systems for the common areas, services of a professional management company and attorney, and payment of utility bills (water and electricity usage). Fees are also used for improvements, repairs, beautification, and landscaping of the common areas.  See Article IV of the CCR’s for further detail.

Q:  I probably won’t be living here in 30 years when the streets need repaving. Why should I have to pay now?

A:  Senior citizens, as well as people who move frequently due to job requirements, often pose this question. The problem with this “short-timer” logic is that these people are themselves benefiting from the use of the streets and other common assets paid for by members who lived here before. Homeowners should pay for the incremental use of these items each year they live there.